- Compatibility is key – match design density and fabric weight.
- Carefully consider placement.
- Use bonded backing on thin or stretchy fabrics.
- Add interfacing or batting, then float tear-away underneath the hoop.
- Stitch on a separate piece and then add to project.
- Stiffen fabric with a liquid, wash-out stabilizer or starch.
- Match hoop to design size for a snug fit.
- Preset hoop tension.
- Consider planned puckers with pre-quilted fabric.
- Combine light weight layers of stabilizer.
During the show, I happened to mention the benefit of embroidering on pre-quilted fabric. I shared one of my favorite projects for single faced pre-quilted material, a custom hanger cover. Many asked for instructions so I'm including a link to the download HERE. You'll also find a 2 minute coordinating video showing a variety of hanger cover samples. These are quick and easy to make for your self or to give as a welcome gift.
I'd love to hear about your embroidery experiences, with or without puckers. Please leave your comments below!